Recumbent bicycles are gaining more and more popularity due to their ergonomic design which allows a rider’s weight to be evenly distributed over a larger area, thus greatly reducing the risk of injury. Here are six reasons to consider owning a recumbent bike:
1. Easy on the lower back. Recumbent bikes allow a rider to sit back utilizing better spinal posture, as opposed to an upright bike where the rider is hunched over handlebars, putting more strain on the back.
2. Gentle on all joints. The bucket seat of a recumbent bike supports a rider’s lower back and protects knees and ankles from injurious impact.
3. Large, comfortable seat. Seat comfort tends to be a recumbent bike’s most attractive feature. An upright bike has a smaller seat that can be very uncomfortable for many riders.
4. Safety. Recumbent bikes are safer because riders cannot stand up on the pedals which eliminates most of the injuries that can occur on an upright bike.
5. Reduces pain and builds strength. For those with back and hip issues or those with rheumatoid arthritis, a recumbent bike may be easier to use due to the reclining position that allows a rider’s weight to spread over their back and buttocks.
6. Accessibility to all. Recumbent bikes provide very low impact to the body, allowing people with disabilities, arthritis, balance issues and other health problems to get out and ride.
To learn more about the benefits of recumbent bicycles or to take a test ride, contact Gary at North West Recumbent Cycles in Post Falls, Idaho at 208-818-5491 or visit NWrecumbentCycles.com.